What I Write

My young adult novels are dark, edgy, and realistic. Although I love paranormal and fantasy books, I prefer to create stories that could really happen (and in many cases, really are happening). For me, the echo of a story set firmly in the real world always haunts me long after I've read the final word. If you like Ellen Hopkins, Jay Asher, and Neal Shusterman, you might like my books, too.

Saturday, June 11, 2011

I Shouldn't Be Alive

Okay, so I've decided a couple of things this past week.  After watching way too many episodes of shows like Dual Survivor, River Monsters and I Shouldn't Be Alive, I have come to the conclusion that my vacation destinations have grown oppressively small.  Why?  Because, I really don't want to go any place that...

1.) I could die of heat exhaustion/dehydration.
2.) I could die of hypothermia.
3.) I could die of starvation.
4.) I could die of sepsis, gangrene, malaria, or anything of the like.
5.) I could die because I was eaten by a lion, a crocodile/alligator, a shark, a giant python, or anything of the like.
6.) I could die as a result of a venomous creature such as a snake, scorpion, stingray, jellyfish, or anything of the like.

Now, I do realize that certain dangers are imminent just by living in South Florida (i.e. alligators, sharks, giant alligator-eating pythons) but I pretty much restrict my "outdoorsiness" to sitting on my screened lanai, floating in a chlorinated pool, or reading a book in the AC.  Although there is a slight chance that a monitor lizard (which incidentally grow to over 6 feet) could burst through my screen and bite me, infecting me with its venomous saliva, I feel fairly safe.  I do not swim in the Gulf of Mexico.  I do NOT swim in the alligator-infested canal behind my house.  I do not go for air boat rides in the Everglades.  I do not walk around barefoot in empty lots filled with fire ant mounds.  I.  Just.  Don't.

Which brings me to my next point.  When I was knee-high-to-a-grasshopper, I grew up in a quaint town in the Midwest.  We spent our summers swimming in the lake, chasing lightning bugs with mason jars, and playing hide-and-seek in unoccupied, wooded lots.

We never had a reason to fear snakes, ants, scorpions, killer bees, alligators, crocodiles, sharks, jelly fish (btw, urine does NOT work), stingrays, or palmetto bugs (cockroaches) the size of a bar of Irish Spring, and--most importantly--old people driving Cadillacs.  The whole concept makes me miss that lush, green, safe neighborhood I grew up in.  But, there's one thing Indiana has that Florida definitely does not.

Snow.

And, I'll take frogs, locusts, and boils over snow any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I'm a writer of contemporary teen fiction. My bookshelf is SLAMMED with young adult novels and I should be on some sort of twelve step program for my spending habits in Barnes and Noble. And, for the record, I LIKE having real books, so no Nook or Kindle for this gal.