What I Write

My young adult novels are dark, edgy, and realistic. Although I love paranormal and fantasy books, I prefer to create stories that could really happen (and in many cases, really are happening). For me, the echo of a story set firmly in the real world always haunts me long after I've read the final word. If you like Ellen Hopkins, Jay Asher, and Neal Shusterman, you might like my books, too.

Monday, September 12, 2011

Writer's Block



Sooo, I'm writing this blog ONLY because I'm trying to find other things to do besides work on my new novel.  I know, I know...I should be a good 20,000 words into this new MS by now, but I'm not.  Why?  IDK.  I think I spent so much time perfecting GITM I'm having a hard time shifting gears.   <<Sigh>>  So, as of yet, I haven't been able to gain traction on this new book.

What do you do when you have writer's block?  I've tried reading, napping, watching movies, sending queries, cleaning my house, going to the ER for chest pains...  I've done it all.  Trust me.


I'm not ready to give up on this book yet, though, because I think I have something really cool and really unique, so I guess I just need to sit down and let some stuff flow organically.  I can always trim the fat during edits. 

Wish me luck!

~L

3 comments:

  1. Reread Donald Maass's book.

    Now, I'm not the poster child for a second novel (seeing as how I've rewritten six versions of the same story), but he'll make you think and dig and plan.

    Good luck! Miss you, lady.

    Marie at the Cheetah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually just sit down and write. It can be something silly, useless, a blog or another best selling novel but it helps the words flow again and then gets my fingers moving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you broken through the block? Hope so, you are a talented writer.

    I wish I had a great way to battle writer's block, but I guess I'm like Sarah. I just have to sit down and write.

    Good luck. :-)

    ReplyDelete

About Me

I'm a writer of contemporary teen fiction. My bookshelf is SLAMMED with young adult novels and I should be on some sort of twelve step program for my spending habits in Barnes and Noble. And, for the record, I LIKE having real books, so no Nook or Kindle for this gal.